MAFH webinar: Overview of the digital transformation initiatives in Mauritius in 2020
The Mauritius Africa Fintech Hub held a webinar on December 8 on the overview of digital transformation in Mauritius with following representatives:
- Rajnish Hawabhay, CTO at the Ministry of Information Technology, Communication and Innovation
- Nitin Kumar Gopaul, Research Coordinator at Mauritius Research and Innovation Council (MRIC)
- Poornanund Ramnial, Acting Deputy Director at Central Informatics Bureau (CIB).
The session was moderated by MAFH CEO, Michal Szymanski who stressed the importance of having everyone from the ecosystem included in digital transformation.
- Two digital government initiatives launched by the ICT Ministry allowing for live data sharing in real time were presented, the InfoHighway and Mokloud:
- InfoHighway is a 24/7 service and is managed through innovative governance, which in turn provides a data dashboard allowing all ministries to know what is happening across each sector respectively (more on the InfoHighway here).
- MoKloud is a platform for insurance and the verification of documents, representing a vision and journey towards a paperless governance.
- E-social security, e-health systems, automated fingerprint for the police force which will all be managed via the blockchain technology for the Ministries are currently in the works.
- New e-services and mobile apps to help citizens and businesses interact with the government to remove the barriers and allow for smooth transactions are being researched.
- In terms of the support schemes and grants available to the Mauritian FinTech community, applied research across different sectors is being encouraged. There is more connectivity now with digitization and services can be done with start-ups without any physical barriers.
Watch the full webinar video here:
The Mauritius Africa FinTech Hub is a fast-growing ecosystem where entrepreneurs, corporations, governments, tech experts, investors, financial service providers, universities and research institutions can collaborate to build cutting-edge solutions for the emerging African market.